Grahame Rees

Grahame Rees

Welcome to my Low Stress Blog

Welcome to my blog, my name is Grahame Rees and I have created this blog to share with you a little about Low Stress Stockhandling and the great people I meet and the places I visit. After meeting Bud and Eunice Williams in 1999,I realised there was a better way to handle animals.Bud showed if we handled animals better we would have animals that would produce more, work better for us, and make more profit.As a side benefit people work better as a team and enjoy thier work better.
In 2002 I met Jim Lindsay and joined with him to share Low Stress Stockhandling with the 2 day Stockhandling school.
Over 1600 people have attended my LSS schools right across Australia.
In 2003 I travelled to the USA to Spokane to learn Bud's Marketing techniques and find out how they would apply in Australia.During the time with Bud & Eunice, Rod and I wrote what is the basis of the KLR Marketing school we present across Australia today.
To find out more about Low Stres Stockhandling or KLR Marketing visit the links at the bottom of this page.

I like share a little about my travels an the people I meet.
Feel free to leave a comment about how LSS has helped you.
If you would like to recieve email updates of my blog, please log your name and email in the box in the top left.

Grahame Rees

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Feedback From Recent Schools

Mel with the Boy's moving sheep.


Well we have truly put all the principles learnt at Gilgandra, at Ben's property, into practice- and guess what (not that i have to convince you!) they worked- not that I doubted you but it is good to get the resuts without you there.
You may remember from our group discussion our "charging Bourke cattle", well David was able to get 5 in last weekend and brought them back hear to Manildra (a bit of hot weather didn't stop them from wanting to EAT David)
so after 2 days and 4 lots of 20-30minute sessions working them, I got their flight zone down to 15-20meters from at least 100mts, and after letting them out of the yards on day 2 they not only WALKED out (we have never seen them walk- only gallop) they calmly started eating pasture 5 mts from the gate and procedded to only move around 200mts in this area all day- just grazing- as you could imagine i was extremerly happy to see a small amount of time make such a HUGE difference.

Since the lss workshop David and I have put all that we have learnt into practice (mostly on his working property) and have seen a marked difference in the staock and also the way in which we approach the stock, it all seems so clear to us now,enjoyable and hassel free and the word "divorce" is not in the equation anymore!!!
We had a small shearing yesterday and after drafting the lambs (4mths old) out with ease we were talking near the race afterwards and found the whole lot walked back through 2 pens and walked back up through the race very peacefully- amazing- not a word spoken or nothing in our hands.

We are so happy with the results and are so keen to get involved with all the ideas- we are just about to do our first "sell/buy" transaction next week.
Mel Kiel, Manildra. NSW

I just want to say a mighty thank you again for the brilliant and revolutionary LSS School that I attended at Wellington on 15-16 of October this year.
"The LSS School was better than excellent in every respect. It has revolutionised my approach to sheep handling and has greatly improved mustering & yarding operations and other aspects of sheep management like weaning".

Your teaching had great impact--the examples you gave by putting us "in the shoes of sheep or cattle" (e.g. the effects of sticks rattles, constant force/pressure) have stayed with me vividly and your focus on principles of strategies as well as strategies themselves has enabled me to understand it all more insightfully.
Shearing began almost immediately after the School and the mustering and yarding operations were so much calmer and more effective than they have been in the past. I feel in a more cooperative relationship with my sheep, I really believe that they want to cooperate when treated in the way you taught us.
And a co-worker and I are getting on so much better together when working with sheep--even though he has not done the course. But I work the sheep by myself a lot, and do not have a dog. I no longer worry that I will have trouble mustering a certain mob of sheep by myself. I just take it quietly--apply the LSS principles--and lo and behold they do what I want.
That is a great boon to me--not having to call in help for mustering (it cuts my costs for casual labour too!). And following your advice, weaning has caused much less distress in ewes and lambs this year than previously, too.

As I said to you on the last day, Graham, the LSS School is the best and most helpful workshop I have ever done in my life--and I have done quite a lot!

Given that you are both teachers in the KLR School I know it will be great value and I would love to attend at Wagga Wagga KLR Marketing School.

Best wishes and many thanks again.

Eleanor Lawson,Wellington. NSW